Re: Windows Vista || Mac Tiger Comparison

  • Subject: Re: Windows Vista || Mac Tiger Comparison
  • From: Noodles Jefferson <silverbells@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:18:02 -0500
  • Newsgroups: alt.2600
In article <df66p1$1m3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz
(newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) dropped a +5 bundle of words...

> __/ [Noodles Jefferson] on Thursday 01 September 2005 05:10 \__
>
> > In article <1125527977.425b66be3609c4969006b661db24b382@teranews>,
> > theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx (theperfectreign@xxxxxxxxx) dropped a +5
> > bundle of words...
> >
> >> Finally it looks like Windows is going to be able to read meta data in
> >> the FS. This is somehting promised with HPFS way back when and never
> >> delivered (except in the OS/2 port of NT).
> >>
> >> Cool article describing the beta of Longhorn/Vista/XP (service pack 3)
> >> vs. Mac OS 10 Tiger.
> >>
> >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_beta1_vs_tiger_01.asp
>

> He is a Microsoft advocate that dude, with a few exceptions, e.g.:
>
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47208/47208.html?Ad=1
>
> Still, this site runs on a Windows server and is biased to promote Windows.
> Thurrott was noted to have written a positive review about Tiger a few
> months ago, but he still wrote some book/s, as far as I know, to help
> Microsoft spread their 'pearls of wisdom'.
>

> > Dear Microsoft,
> > Spare me the doodads and give me an OS that won't be a haven for
> > spyware/virii and for the love of all that's tasty and good, please let
> > me run scandisk by hitting windowKey, r, typing scandisk and hitting
> > enter.
>

> I still do it it in Windows 98. Does it not work anymore? I am fairly sure
> that I can still call 'notepad' and 'wordpad' from "Run...".

Chkdisk will run but not scandisk. It's gone. They seem to think
chkdisk will take care of everything now.

> > Lose the system restore because IT'S NEVER WORKED IN ANY
> > INCARNATION OF YOUR OS. Oh and lose that documents and settings idea.
> > It's pretty confusing seeing a whole separate folder system from my My
> > Computer.
>

> Totally agree on that one. Also remind Microsoft that while the desktop
> physically lies on a desk, it is darn stupid to put My Computer ('My'
> prefix has been dropped) atop the Desktop. As far as I am concerned, the
> Desktop exists only once the computer was set up.
>

> > Not to mention that's where half of your spyware/virii hide
> > now, in those fucked up temp folders that won't let me see what's in
> > them no matter what attributes I set for the folder.
>

> This would have been prevented if they had the notion of 'root'. I think
> they are working on a chmod-like mechanism at the moment. They always need
> to copy from the best. Looks from the Mac, security and administration from
> _nix.
>

> > Your slave by default,
> > Noodles
>

> Break the shackles and upgrade (see sig.)

Soon.

--
Noodles Jefferson
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

"Our earth is degenerate in these latter days, bribery and corruption
are common, children no longer obey their parents and the end of the
world is evidently approaching."
--Assyrian clay tablet 2800 B.C.