Re: Buying/upgrading Windows XP

  • Subject: Re: Buying/upgrading Windows XP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:56:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [tim] on Thursday 01 September 2005 13:53 \__

> I need to get hold of a 'genuine' copy (in fact 2) of Windows XP
> Professional, and wondered what the cheapest way to do this is, ie OEM
> copies from somewhere like ebuyer, or is there a cheaper place?

There are illegal ways of getting a copy, but they are probably not the way
to go. I suggest you go for the former option. Windows piracy and a blind
eye is a thing of the older days when Microsoft needed to spread their
software. Lawyers are now being used where opportunities arise.

> Also, with a view to the fact that the new Windows (Longhorn?) will be out
> at some point in the future, will I, as a XP licensed user, be able to
> purchase a 'upgrade' to this OS, or would it be a complete new purchase?
> TIA
> tim

The newer version of Windows, renamed Vista from Longhorn, will include
little more than Windows XP because many of its (some would argue 3)
pillars have been conceded due to self-imposed deadlines. Having said that,
a WinFS beta came out 2 days ago so it's not a total loss.

Either way, Vista will offer very little more than XP. It will require much
more in terms of hardware resources due to visual effects and perhaps file
indexing in the background, which is reported to have crippled Tiger users.
It will also require a new licence.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
  1:45pm  up 8 days  6:27,  4 users,  load average: 1.70, 0.81, 0.71