Re: Technical, not Political

  • Subject: Re: Technical, not Political
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 03:54:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Technomage Hawke] on Thursday 01 September 2005 19:51 \__

> Thomas J. Andrews wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>

>>> Ideally this would be so, but there are always newbies and so-called
>>> 'political' people who cannot resist the temptation to defend themselves
>>> when a troll hits. Admittedly, I too took part in the first couple of
>>> flatfish discussion which hit the Linux groups (I am subscribed to about
>>> 7) this August. I quickly learned to master the 'I' shortcut in KNode.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the trolls decided that their only way to weaken us is to waste
>>> our time, diverting our attention from sourceforge and mutual
>>> assistance. Unfortunately, when threads mushroom, we simply let them
>>> /win/.
>>>

>> A large part of the problem is that there are two types of trolls
>> infesting this newsgroup. There are Windows-trolls, and there are
>> Linux-trolls. They go at each other and draw some of the rest of us in.
>> Too bad they can't stick to the advocacy groups and fight it out among
>> themselves.
>>
>> TJ
> Q: is it possible to filter these trolls based on ip's in their headers
> (such as the NNTP-POSTING-HOST)?
>
> I ask this because trolls seem to change names like most folks change
> clothes (once or more daily) but IP's tend not to change that often.
>
> TMH

Which newsreader do you use? Some readers have excellent killfile
facilities. Why not just hit ignore as soon as the title appears
questionable or when the source (always have headers displayed) is
Yahoo/GG/anon? That's what I often do, or else I may get carried away and
join a pointless discussion.

Let's stop looking at the neighbour's lawn, discussing how green or yellow
it may seem. We have grown tired of that and so has our lawn, which is
slowly growing yellow with weed. We need to mow our own lawn rather than
make comparsions. I wish it was simpler. Restrict the scope of the messages
you read. Mend a wall or a fence (equiv. to filters).

That would be my last message on a non-technical topic.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
  3:45am  up 8 days 18:16,  4 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.40, 0.45