Re: lightsabre inserted into photo

  • Subject: Re: lightsabre inserted into photo
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:50:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
__/ [Dave Kelly] on Friday 02 September 2005 07:17 \__

> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> Just had a cool idea, and thought gimp could do it pretty easy.  I went
>> to a movie theme party a while ago, and one of the guys is a Star Wars
>> nut (aren't we all?).  He went dressed as a Jedi.  Thought it would be
>> cool if I doctored his photo for him to add a lightsabre.  How would you
>> do that in simple terms?  I was thinking it would be similar to a
>> lightning effect, but straight lines.  I am a noob and don't know how to
>> start.
>>
> There is a gimp plug in for just that. I have on but do not remember
> where I got it.  Maybe from a message in this group.
>
> Do a google newsgroup search for the words: lightsabre     or
> Blade-Rotoscope.
>
> Great  program..... In about 30 seconds you can make a broom handle into
> a light sabre.

Also consider many localised effects of "Lens Flare". You can find it
somewhere among the Effects menu if I recall correctly. Selecting the broom
to isolate it from the background would also make it possible to change
colour balance. This would not result in a /real/ glow, but you can make
the broom green and even very bright by enhancing its brightness.

...all just in case you cannot find or install the plug-in mentioned
above...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "These characters were randomly picked"
  8:45am  up 8 days 21:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.32, 0.51