Re: Hacking Firefox: Speed Up Your Browser

__/ [John Bailo] on Friday 02 September 2005 18:50 \__

> Hacking Firefox: Speed Up Your Browser
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1854234,00.asp
>
> August 30, 2005
> Hacking Firefox: Speed Up Your Browser
> By Mel Reyes
>
> This is an excerpt from the ExtremeTech book, Hacking Firefox: More Than
> 150 Hacks, Mods, and Customizations. This chapter shows you how to speed
> up page rendering, tune Firefox to your CPU, optimize memory and
> caching, and more.
>
> Hack it, tweak it, and make it scream down the information highway. This
> chapter covers several of the much-touted hacks that you will find on
> the Internet, as well as some other less popular but very useful hacks.
> You will get the skinny on the what, how, and why of them. More
> important, you'll see how to customize them to fit your current setup
> and situation. The primary method of hacking for this section is
> adjusting key hidden preferences.

This one is from last year:

http://forevergeek.com/open_source/make_firefox_faster.php

All it involves is pipelining requests, which has worked magic for almost a
year. I sit on a 100MBit connection so I really give little or no damn how
much traffic is travelling underneath. All I know is that I am not
interested in Firefox out-of-the-box settings, which accommodate an average
Internet user with ADSL.

Roy

PS - More while on the issue:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/04/05/firefox-pop-ups-block/
                    [Stopping 'new-styled' pop-ups]

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock
                    [CSS ad blocking]

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
  9:15am  up 9 days 21:26,  3 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.23, 0.20