Re: Linux TCO and Google

__/ [John Bailo] on Saturday 03 September 2005 18:45 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> Very true. Lest we forget that Google embrace Linux. A world dominated by
>> Google is a world where Windows cannot prevail for long. It will not
>> endure initiatives like Summer of Code and openness. Ballmer agrees:
>
> Google won't prevail for long either.
>
> What we need is something like bittorrent for search.   An engine that
> spreads searching among computers and searches peer to peer between nodes.

Why would you ever want to access objects on a stranger's machine? If
something was worth distributing, wouldn't Web site/space suit the purpose
just fine? It would be well-indexed too.

How does that contradict the prevalence of Google? I know that Microsoft
work on a bittorrent equivalent, but how many people do you know whose
interests lie in massive downloads? Putting aside the Westernised World,
most people still have (disturbingly) slow Internet connections.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
  6:45pm  up 10 days  6:56,  3 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.22, 0.27