Re: Width and height of web page

  • Subject: Re: Width and height of web page
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:49:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Denis Duchesne] on Monday 05 September 2005 01:37 \__

Hi Denis,

The terminology below, as well as in the subject line appears to be mixed up
slightly. "Pages" and "browsers" are separate entities.

> Hello everyone,
>
> How can I do it? I want a page of my website (The window) to open with a
> width of 720 and a height of 520.

Not possible, I'm afraid. You may have seen this happening before, but it is
not a valid thing to do and many browsers will not obey the request. I
suggest you think about another idea.

> I also want the page to be in the middle
> of the page.

Do you mean you want to browser to be forced to lie in the middle of the
screen? Again, this is not possible. There are O/S- or/and browser-specific
hacks, but they should be discarded altogether. Not only will this not
necessarily work, but it will also annoy the site visitor/s. Leave it to
the window manager and browser renderer to make choices, based on the
user's preferences.

> The code has to be in the web page and not on the link that
> take you to that page.
>
> Hopefully, you understand me and maybe somebody can help me!
>
> Thanks in advance,

I hope I did not appear bitter. I am rather certain, however, that others in
this groups would assimilate and support this disposition. What you are
trying to achieve is where many Web designers misunderstand the Web and are
bound to annoy their audience, as well as crawlers sometimes.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
  5:40am  up 11 days 17:07,  3 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.79, 0.68