Re: SCP | sFTP | FTP

__/ [William Tasso] on Friday 09 September 2005 01:12 \__

> Greetings one and all

Greetings Mr. Tasso.

> Very recently decided to open up some linux web services (initially just
> to in-house devs) so, with my admin hat on I created the user names and
> user space, muttered the necessary incantations to apache, even remembered
> to add a hostname to the zone file.
>
> Disconnect - remember devs need FTP access, reconnect - punch a hole in
> the firewall, relax.

I only use FTP when up/download masses of files. cPanel editing is often
quicker. FireFTP makes tabbed sFTP'ing rather quick.

> Remember to check the connection - fails, remember there's no FTP Daemon
> on the server.  Research reveals this:
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/virtual/ftp-server - too much choice.
>
>   ... and then I remember why I didn't load an FTP daemon in the first
> place.

It reminds me that my host broke anonymous FTP when changing the ftp daemons
of two domains of mine... been over a week... they haven't fixed it yet so
it must be tricky stuff, which I will nag about in a few days when
work-related pressures subside (few people may have noticed I have been
away recently).

> I've been using cygwin/ssh to connect over a VPN to the firewall - fine
> for admin, but a little clunky for site developers.

Don't go down that route. More support, more dependencies, more frowns.

> Remember SCP
>
> Research reveals this: http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
> More info ... http://www.jfitz.com/tips/ssh_for_windows.html
>
> Download/install of WinSCP - as easy as a very easy thing & merely a
> moment to configure.

I used to be using pscp:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

3 times slower than Linux SCP. Windows has always been /significantly/
slower so its partition had to go.

> Now I just have to research how to prevent SSH connections to root etc.
> (~/sshd_config looks promising) and I'll be a happy bunny.

Is a good password not enough?

> Anyhow, the question is .... how much resistance is there to moving away
>  from FTP?  For those that allow others into their servers ... was it hard
> to gain acceptance from your user base?  For devs and other remote users
> .... was it a PITA or smooth as silk?

It depends on the users. Choose them wisely. Some will be (justifiably)
vocal once a year and some will want you to hold their hand.

> FWIW:  If I can find an acceptable solution/configuration for the sshd it
> will take an incredibly good argument to convince me I /must/ support FTP.
>
> Thank you for reading.

Always a pleasure.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  5:35am  up 15 days  7:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.49, 0.64