Re: Download with KBear

  • Subject: Re: Download with KBear
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:32:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
__/ [Malcolm Brown] on Saturday 10 September 2005 20:48 \__

> Bit Twister wrote:
>
>> Some sites will only allow one connection at a time from the same ip
>> address.
>>
>> Some apps, to improve download speed, will make multiple connections
>> to the same site. Hence the error. Other problem you could have
>> another instance holding a connection to the site. Example browsing
>> the site while another app tries to download from the site.
>>
>> Some app have a preferece which you can set to disable the
>> feature.
>
> Thanks for your very prompt reply.
>
> I close connections on opening and closing KBear and do not have the
> Mandriva website open at the same time.
>
> Looking at the KBear settings I cannot see anything which refers to
> multiple connections.
>
> It's a bug(K)Bear

I was told that KBear is very buggy. My experience makes no exception, which
is why I didn't go past mere 'experimentations' with KBear. I would have to
recommend gFTP, which is multi-threaded. Konqueror is also a very powerful
FTP tool if you use KDE.

Last month I wrote a review focusing on Linux FTP clients, so if you have
interest < http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/08/01/firefox-ftp/
>, just follow.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  2:25am  up 17 days  2:56,  3 users,  load average: 1.08, 0.66, 0.85