Re: Cached Pages

__/ [tbrothers] on Saturday 10 September 2005 23:37 \__

> Google, and others, have my old website cached.  They have revisited my
> new site but the old pages still show up.  How can I get Google and the
> others to discard the cached pages?
>
> Google also displays an incorrect image of my home page.
>
> Thanks,
> Terry

I think you can either contact them and wish for a response. Otherwise, you
may face a real challenge and have no easy solutions.

You can either add "NO CACHE" (I'll need to look up the proper syntax) to
your meta data and remove that metadata once the cache was flushed, if
ever. Someone in alt.www.webmaster suggested that it rarely gets honoured,
at least in his case.

You can otherwise be more radical and stop crawling by changing robots.txt
temporarily. Maybe if you encouraged more crawling, that /too/ would get
the cache modified more frequently. Lastly, relying just on common sense,
making your pages more dynamic (significant changes) would urge re-caching.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
  2:20am  up 17 days  2:51,  3 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.72, 0.97