Re: Updating Sites Locally

__/ [Blinky the Shark] on Sunday 11 September 2005 20:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Blinky the Shark] on Sunday 11 September 2005 13:24 \__

>>> How do you do "upload any files in these/these directories that are
>>> not in this directory at the remote location"; i.e, automated
>>> synching of a web site and its local mirror?  With Konqueror.
>>
>> If you have an always-on connection, never make local copies. You can
>> open files located on the 'FTP domain' in Konqueror. I believe I
>> mentioned this to you in the past.
>
> Always on or always off is irrelevant for me -- I mirror locally as
> backup and as a place to play and create so that things I break aren't
> being broken on the live site.

Good idea. Well, it was just a suggestion anyway.

>> If you do not have always-on connection, but your connection is
>> /fast/, just graft the whole site or entire sections and put back the
>> 'block' in its entirety when done. If the idea scares you
>> (mass-handling files), just ensure you keep a stack of backups and
>> keep an eye on your error logs.
>
> I have no idea what you mean by grafting in this context.  Last time I
> saw the term was back with some DOS directory pruning/grafting util from
> Norton a decade ago.

Move directories in their entirety, i.e. including all subdirectories. You
can make a complete copy of ~/public_html or ~/public_html/projects, for
example. You treat these as 'shelves', pulling them out, organising the
books (files), and then pushing them back into the cabinet (Web site).

Hope it makes some sense,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  3:40am  up 17 days 23:55,  3 users,  load average: 1.37, 0.74, 0.65