Re: Searching Phrase with "To" and "And"

  • Subject: Re: Searching Phrase with "To" and "And"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:00:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Paul N Burke] on Monday 12 September 2005 09:56 \__

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:32:24 +0100, "John Dingley"
> <notreal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>In google is there any way of searching a phrase which includes " marks
>
> no

Quotes do not get indexed. Related discussion started when somebody wanted
to search for a full stop in Google <
http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/August_2005_2/msg00058.html >.

>>For example, I want to find a page that has the actual string: the dog
>>said to the cat "hello"
>>
>>I can't use "the dog said to the cat "hello"" as it doesn't work correctly
>>neither does it if I just use the above.
>>
>>Is there a special character for quote marks or something?
> no
>
> the best you could do is "the dog said to the cat hello"
> but that is not what you wanted, but the closest you are going to get
> :(
>
> plh
> Paul

I would take a step further and share a little tactic of mine. If you
searched for "the dog said to the cat hello" and got a results page, make
sure that as many results as possible are visible in the page, e.g. 100.

Having got an extensive results page, use a highlighting utility, which many
toolbars have incorporated. A9, Google Toolbar and Googlebar are the ones
which I can confirm include it.

Search the page for something like "the dog said", pressing 'find next' (F3
in Firefox) to skip to the next result until you find a good match where
the order of words is suitable. Bear in mind that your search neglected the
words "the" (twice) and "to", which is what your page search can make up
for.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
  2:50pm  up 18 days  9:56,  3 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.46, 0.58