Re: Searching Phrase with "To" and "And"

  • Subject: Re: Searching Phrase with "To" and "And"
  • From: "John Dingley" <notreal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:47:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
news:dg41nd$10k4$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> __/ [Paul N Burke] on Monday 12 September 2005 09:56 \__
>
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:32:24 +0100, "John Dingley"
>> <notreal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>In google is there any way of searching a phrase which includes " marks
>>
>> no
>

> Quotes do not get indexed. Related discussion started when somebody wanted
> to search for a full stop in Google <
> http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/August_2005_2/msg00058.html >.
>

>>>For example, I want to find a page that has the actual string: the dog
>>>said to the cat "hello"
>>>
>>>I can't use "the dog said to the cat "hello"" as it doesn't work
>>>correctly
>>>neither does it if I just use the above.
>>>
>>>Is there a special character for quote marks or something?
>> no
>>
>> the best you could do is "the dog said to the cat hello"
>> but that is not what you wanted, but the closest you are going to get
>> :(
>>
>> plh
>> Paul
>

> I would take a step further and share a little tactic of mine. If you
> searched for "the dog said to the cat hello" and got a results page, make
> sure that as many results as possible are visible in the page, e.g. 100.
>
> Having got an extensive results page, use a highlighting utility, which
> many
> toolbars have incorporated. A9, Google Toolbar and Googlebar are the ones
> which I can confirm include it.
>
> Search the page for something like "the dog said", pressing 'find next'
> (F3
> in Firefox) to skip to the next result until you find a good match where
> the order of words is suitable. Bear in mind that your search neglected
> the
> words "the" (twice) and "to", which is what your page search can make up
> for.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    |     PGP-Key: 74572E8E
>  2:50pm  up 18 days  9:56,  3 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.46, 0.58

Darn -it

Thanks

Problem is, it turns up 100 of pages of stuff i don't want.

Perhaps this is a good place to say exactly what i'm looking for, i suspect
somebody may have a link.

What i need is an explanation with examples on the use of  the structures in
the following examples:

SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent "^XXXXXXX" bad_bot
SetEnvIfNoCase User-Agent ".*XXXXXXXX.*" bad_bot

I have used them but have forgotten what the ^ and . do and the order in
which you use them and when you don't need a ^ or a .