Re: How much flash is too much?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Flash, in principle, is proprietary. Attempts to hack it and extract some
information out of it would be computationally expensive so I imagine that
crawlers will not care enough to crawl/descent to it very often.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys ever check anything!

http://www.google.com/search?q=elephant+filetype%3Aswf

that's filetype:swf

Google crawls and registers flash files, and has done for years.

It doesn't do anything with them in terms of normal search results, I'd guess because they haven't found an easy, reliable (i.e. hierarchical) way of determining its text-contents relevance to a given search (The results seem to be heavily influenced by IBLs).

As for how much? As much as you need to do the job. Just don't use it for text-content or links unless you also provide those text-content (or links) in another format... BTW Flash has excellent XML handling capabilities.

--

Davémon
http://www.nightsoil.co.uk