Re: How much flash is too much?

  • Subject: Re: How much flash is too much?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 03:55:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Wednesday 14 September 2005 20:03 \__

> "KW Allen" <kwallen2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Flash]
>
> - technically SE's can extract text out of Flash files, not sure
>   if this is already been done (Macromedia makes a SDK available)

Yes, I believe it's being done, but very reluctantly so. Also, the developer
must put the necessary information inside the clip in order for it to
contain some semantics rather than just floating objects.

Check it out John!... http://www.theonion.com/2056-06-22/index_b.php

> I surf most of the time like in the second point. I know I am not your
> average visitor, but I am amazed how many sites fail completely without
> Flash. I mean, not even a short piece of text with at least some info.

The Flashblock exntesion is a useful one. It replaces Flash with a miniscule
icon. Once pressed, one individual Flash item will play. You know where
Flash sits, but it only ever plays if you ask for it.

> Worse are the ones that use Flash for a splash screen for an HTML site. I
> can't get in, and most of the time I don't bother to switch to IE to
> experience the Flash. Again, maybe a very small percentage of your
> visitors will be like me. OTOH, if your Flash is done good it might get
> extra visitors because it looks cool. I am sure there are Flash sites that
> are very hard to find in Google but have a lot of visitors because of IBLs
> and word of mouth.

I suspect that search engines have a tendency to refer surfers to _non_
MSWord/PPT/Flash/Framed Web sites. These are the characterstic of sites
that are hardly accessible. They will introduce 'dead-ends' to many.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash
  3:45am  up 20 days 16:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.30, 0.54