Re: How much flash is too much?

  • Subject: Re: How much flash is too much?
  • From: John Bokma <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Sep 2005 17:13:26 GMT
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines

> __/ [John Bokma] on Wednesday 14 September 2005 20:03 \__
>
>> "KW Allen" <kwallen2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> [Flash]
>>
>> - technically SE's can extract text out of Flash files, not sure
>>   if this is already been done (Macromedia makes a SDK available)
>
> Yes, I believe it's being done, but very reluctantly so. Also, the
> developer must put the necessary information inside the clip in order
> for it to contain some semantics rather than just floating objects.

Yup, true. But I've seen flash that display text, so it's not that hard
to add text to flash which is meaningfull (e.g. the whole site in flash
thingies).

>> - to be sure: install Firefox without Flash support. How does your
>>   site look? Is everything available to users without Flash support?
>
> Check it out John!... http://www.theonion.com/2056-06-22/index_b.php

Ok, I see a lot of white rectangles, and some text, uhm... which are
pictures with text.

> The Flashblock exntesion is a useful one. It replaces Flash with a
> miniscule icon. Once pressed, one individual Flash item will play. You
> know where Flash sits, but it only ever plays if you ask for it.

Yes, I used that extension for quite some time. Sadly, almost every
single update of Firefox kills most if not all extensions, so I often
don't bother to update if it's not a major extension.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                 Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/