Re: linux emulator for windows so I can run skype

  • Subject: Re: linux emulator for windows so I can run skype
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 04:15:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on Wednesday 14 September 2005 21:23 \__

> Nospam <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> : I am on win98se and am getting infuriated I am unable to run skype on my
> : machine (apparently need winxp or 2000), but skype can be on various
> : versions of linux, is there a "linux emulator" out there that can enable
> : me to run skype ?
>
> VMWare would do that just fine. It isn't a 'linux emulator" but rather
> emulates a PC- so you can install Linux into it.
>
> Though it would be cheaper to upgrade to a modern OS than to buy
> VMware, most likely
>
> Stan

I still have an old Windows 98 laptop, which appears to be unaffected by
spyware, virii and the rest of these evils. I would encourage that you just
install Linux if not too many peripherals are involved.

I was going to suggest SSH'ing (or equivalents) to a *nix machine with Skype
installed, but then realised that X forwarding would not be helpful. You
would voice forwarding too...

As said already, VMware licence for using Skype? I fail to see the point.
Not to mention the amount of space that VMware will 'eat up'...

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
  4:10am  up 20 days 17:15,  3 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.38, 0.38