Re: Looking for Linux frame grabber and image processing software

  • Subject: Re: Looking for Linux frame grabber and image processing software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:13:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
__/ [yccheok@xxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 15 September 2005 08:09 \__

> Previously, we are using grab link expert 2 from euresys and eVision
> (also from euresys) in our line scan application. Yup, we are using
> WIN32 platform.

Before I start, I must clarify that I don't know what Grab Link Expert 2
from Euresys does. A little bit of background would have helped this
discussion.

> Now, we plan to shift to Linux 64 bit.

I praise your move to Linux.

> ...Since euresys only support Red
> hat till version 8, we are looking for some frame grabber, which
> functionality similar to grab link expert 2, but come with a driver
> with can be supported in one of the following platform:
>
> 1) Fedora 4 AMD 64 bit
>
> 2) Ubuntu 5.04 AMD 64 bit
>
> 3) Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (AMD 64 bit)

I am not sure what you mean by 'frame grabber', but command-line tools from
ImageMagick called 'animate' as well as 'mencoder' allow you to capture,
stitch, animate, rip (legally, of course) images/videos.

I also wrote a screen grabber for Linux a month ago. It should work under
all distributions with ImageMagick, which makes it merely all modern Linux
distributions:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Utilities/Complete/Linux/Display_Grabber/

> Also, does anyone know any image processing package which can be
> supported in one of the above OS?

You can use VXL < http://vxl.sourceforge.net/ > or Tina <
http://www.tina-vision.net/ >, which are the ones I am currently aware of
that also (if not only) run under Linux.

> Thank you very much!

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
  6:05pm  up 21 days  6:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.32, 0.63, 0.71