Re: Flash for non-content

__/ [John Bokma] on Thursday 15 September 2005 18:24 \__

>> I don't know much about that myself. I no longer use Flash. I worked
>> with it 4-5 years ago though. Perhaps John knows more about the SDK,
>
> No, only from what I read. Many years ago I wrote a very simple Pascal
> program that as soon as it found an ASCII character >= ' ' and <='~' it
> was printed (it was a bit more advanced since it could drop strings that
> were too short). It was a great tool for finding strings in binaries
> :-).

That's a good way of detecting GPL violations. Scanning for duplicate error
and status messages in binaries.

>> which by the way is Microsoft terminology for Software Development
>> Kit.
>
> Others use it as well, (E.g. Java SDK). I doubt it's MS terminology.

According to dict.org, it is an MS terminology. Maybe it was coined by
them... I /do/ know about Java SDK; Microsoft don't (wish to know).

>> Flash, in principle, is proprietary. Attempts to hack it and extract
>> some information out of it would be computationally expensive
>
> not really, there are flash disassemblers [1]. Flash is just a simple
> bytecode, which for a large part is documented. Parsing it is not harder
> compared to HTML. Exceptions are of course if the text in Flash is
> created dynamically (which can be compared with HTML + JavaScript).

Interesting. Thanks for correcting me. I never viewed Flash in a text
editor. I was a scared Win32 person when I mastered Flash.

>> so I
>> imagine that crawlers will not care enough to crawl/descent to it very
>> often. It can also be assumed that Flash does not contain much
>> content,
>
> Some do, the "whole site in a flash" thingies. But a problem is, where
> is the "page" with the text that has been indexed? AFAIK a flash movie
> is just a bunch of frames, and a menu jumps to the right frame. So if an
> SE is able to index the text in frames, it would also be nice if it can
> make your browser jump to the right frame (which it can't). It's like
> those funny pages that redirect you to the main page, because you should
> start there, when you come via a SERP.

That's the "inject the innocent visitor with what serves us best" rather
than "let's give our cherished visitor what he/she is after".

> [1] http://flasm.sourceforge.net/

Thanks John. By the way, I once approached 3,000 visits in one day, which by
no means compares with your 4,000 that is almost steady in terms of pace.
This was back in March -- a surge due to something I had written in my
blog. This was very noticeable as the site received about 400 visits a day,
at least at the time. I thought AWStats had died!

My logs have been patchy in the past 3 days... if you know why this may be,
please make a suggestion... hits recorded one hour and then nada... I
haven't nagged the hosts yet... some people trash their logs anyway... too
many requests recently (I lost anonymous FTP and boxtrapper)... I'd rather
keep quiet for a while...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
  6:50pm  up 21 days  7:04,  3 users,  load average: 1.52, 1.23, 0.94