Re: Chess monitoring

__/ [Charles Sweeney] on Monday 12 September 2005 21:08 \__

> GreyWyvern wrote
>
>> And lo, Charles Sweeney didst speak in alt.www.webmaster:
>>
>>> "Automatic adjudication may occur if the World Chess Network detects
>>> that you or your opponent is using computer assistance, since
>>> computer assistance is prohibited on the World Chess Network"
>>>
>>> Like I said, I don't know how they do it.
>>
>> I would suspect that they have several of the most popular chess
>> algorithms playing along each game and if you matched a number of
>> moves in  a row of any one program, you would be terminated.
>>
>> No process monitoring required.
>
> Yep, this was my hunch.

Their method would still not incapable of detecting cases where one player
uses a mixture of engines, seeking assistance from several in parallel.
Besides that, are there no engines that use some random processes? Think
about the computational load on the server, running many algorithms
simultaneously or sequentially. I used to think that the 'game host' only
needed to render a board. I agree that it makes cheating far more difficult
though.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
  4:05am  up 18 days 21:39,  3 users,  load average: 1.37, 0.85, 0.73