Re: Linux Uptime

__/ [Charles Sweeney] on Tuesday 13 September 2005 18:22 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote
>
>> If it count for anything, it has been 18 days since I began to append
>> uptime to my signature.
>
> Right...I thought that was *your* uptime, not the server's!

I now realise that the signature is deceiving. It makes it appear as if
uptime refers to the server although it does not. Some readers might also
assume that 'users' are visitors while in fact is it the number of users
connected to this machine.

I have my site hosted elsewhere, in a place where people feed it
strawberries and cream, ensuring it never goes down along with my E-mail.
Hosting a site locally can become a horrendous headache (I once read about
terrible experiences). I only serve real-time imaging from this machine,
which are made accessible from the actual site. I still manage to get a
decent uptime on this machine, which is doing a lot of work and has KDE 3.1
(from ~2002) on top. Just imagine yourself the misery involved in rebooting
(or having a power failure).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Have you hugged your penguin today?
  5:40am  up 19 days 21:59,  3 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.48, 0.60