Re: Kindly evaluate this research idea

  • Subject: Re: Kindly evaluate this research idea
  • From: Martin Leese <please@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:59:59 -0600
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
  • References: <1125905128.647159.278360@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <dfhta2$ge1$1@news.ucalgary.ca> <dfjurc$1df9$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <dfknnn$lt5$1@news.ucalgary.ca> <1126074184.573857.63230@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <dfn82h$mtd$1@news.ucalgary.ca> <dfonda$2514$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk> <dfq10n$sij$1@news.ucalgary.ca> <1126621344.020432.251540@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> <dg6ub4$7l$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk>
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [Ajay] on Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:22 \__
Dear Martin and Roy,
I don't seem to have much choice than to hang in with whatever is here.

The worst you can do is complain about it. Complaints lead to bitterness, which in turn leads to your motivation being shattered.

If it helps, think about it as going to prison for four years. To survive your sentence it is important to maintain a positive attitude.

Of late I thought about an idea related to "content based image
segmentation". However during literature reading I have been surprised
to find that no one is concerned about the fundamental question, What
can we define "the content" in terms of its mathematical explanation?

This would be difficult because "content" can be a variety of different things. In photography it can be a tree, a bicycle. In biology it can be chromosomes or fingerprints. You would often end up with ad-hoc solutions.

I believe it is good to think in terms of definitions. Define what you mean by "content". As Roy points out, this is obvious to humans but non-trivial for computers.

So much work on this is being done in the big places like Berkeley and
Stanford, still no answer. If there is please let me know.In any case,
if there is any ,defining the content of an image prefectly, I think we
have solved the major problem of pattern recognition.

I personally like the AI/machine learning approach whereby you feed (train) a classifier and then assign labels to objects. Someone is already exploiting 'free labour' for training purposes: http://www.schestowitz.com/Vision/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35

Here, Roy is suggesting a definition of "I know it when I see it". This is nice in that it uses humans to do what they are good at, and computers for the rest.

If that is not so, why not people first address this question and then
should jump into content based image processing?

Please help me with your knowledge in the area. Even suggestion to the
links and reference to the people will help me retrieve further
information..

I am afraid that my main field of exploration is registration and models.
Segmentation is something I know from afar.

My field is/was enhancement of satellite images of the earth's surface, particularly for human visual interpretation. I am of even less use than Roy.

Help me do a better PhD

-Ajay

The best of knowledge often lies in the literature. Quite frankly, however, I don't believe much in books as they are old-stylish. While they are rather reliable, they are too sequential, and flat. Ask yourself a question and then do a Web search to find an answer which you can merely trust. This works well for me. Remember to quickly hop between citations (links) where appropriate and form your own hypotheses.

Roy

Think of it this way. PhD research must be of a sufficient quality to be publishable, and to publish research is to push back the frontiers of science. But to push back the frontier you first have to reach the frontier. You do this in steps. A textbook or two is the first step, followed by journal papers (use the Science Citation Index to find these), followed by conference papers, followed by doing actual research. This takes you to the frontier, from where you can start to form a research project and to do research.

--
Regards,
Martin Leese