Re: Kindly evaluate this research idea

  • Subject: Re: Kindly evaluate this research idea
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:21:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
__/ [Ajay] on Tuesday 13 September 2005 15:22 \__

> Dear Martin and Roy,
>
> Thanks once again for your valuable advice.

I never realised it would be valuable. *smile*

> I don't seem to have much choice than to hang in with whatever is here.

The worst you can do is complain about it. Complaints lead to bitterness,
which in turn leads to your motivation being shattered.

> Of late I thought about an idea related to "content based image
> segmentation". However during literature reading I have been surprised
> to find that no one is concerned about the fundamental question, What
> can we define "the content" in terms of its mathematical explanation?

This would be difficult because "content" can be a variety of different
things. In photography it can be a tree, a bicycle. In biology it can be
chromosomes or fingerprints. You would often end up with ad-hoc solutions.

> So much work on this is being done in the big places like Berkeley and
> Stanford, still no answer. If there is please let me know.In any case,
> if there is any ,defining the content of an image prefectly, I think we
> have solved the major problem of pattern recognition.

I personally like the AI/machine learning approach whereby you feed (train)
a classifier and then assign labels to objects. Someone is already
exploiting 'free labour' for training purposes:
http://www.schestowitz.com/Vision/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35

> If that is not so, why not people first address this question and then
> should jump into content based image processing?
>
> Please help me with your knowledge in the area. Even suggestion to the
> links and reference to the people will help me retrieve further
> information..

I am afraid that my main field of exploration is registration and models.
Segmentation is something I know from afar.

> Help me do a better PhD
>
> -Ajay

The best of knowledge often lies in the literature. Quite frankly, however,
I don't believe much in books as they are old-stylish. While they are
rather reliable, they are too sequential, and flat. Ask yourself a question
and then do a Web search to find an answer which you can merely trust. This
works well for me. Remember to quickly hop between citations (links) where
appropriate and form your own hypotheses.