Re: Why the huge difference between google backlinks and Yahoo backlinks?

  • Subject: Re: Why the huge difference between google backlinks and Yahoo backlinks?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:50:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [bradman] on Wednesday 14 September 2005 16:17 \__

> I did a backlink search for a site on google and then on yahoo for the
> same site. Google shows 500 links and yahoo shows about 6000 links. Is
> there any clearly known criteria for what makes a link count in either
> of these search engines? Thanks for any help!

Google picks up many more, but does not appear to register them or display
them to you. I am fairly sure that if you skip page by page among Yahoo's
results you will find that it practically records far less than 6,000
links. It keeps count, but does not add everything to index or caches. When
it matched nearly 100,000 with my name, it was only able to display 400 so
the numbers are overly optimistic. Ignore them.

Yahoo gives idiotic estimates of many things, thereby giving an illusion
that its coverage is more comprehensive than the competition's. Some
students recently ran some dodgy experiments that suggested Yahoo's index
was significantly larger than anybody else's. This was even Slashdotted at
one point. The second time it got Slashdotted was when the students'
professor discarded responsibility for that amateur study they had carried
out. All in all, there is only a lot of talk. The Yahoo index is smaller.
If you can list to me all 6,000 links, i.e. if they display each of these
to you, I'd be very surprised.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
  5:40pm  up 20 days  8:54,  3 users,  load average: 2.26, 0.90, 0.60