Palm Desktop for Linux

On the machine at the University (SuSE) I have KPilot installed and at work
(Ubuntu) I have JPilot. I have never worked with any of them, but I did
view the GUI's.

I have just received a Mandrake box for home and it does not contain any
Palm Desktop replacement. I must synchronise my data with that machine,
however, as it is the only one owned by myself. I do not seek software that
will enable me to do much on the desktop side. I only need something that
will:

1) Back up my data and be compatible with models later than the Pilot (I
have a Tungsten)

2) Allow me to send files to the main memory and SD card (preferably)

3) Retain archives of erased data (wish list)

Am I expecting too much? Which software should I use? There is a variety out
there, but not much of a survey. I have absolutely no idea what to choose
and I must install something immediately in order to back up my data.

Many thanks,