Re: a.i.s-e on the Web

__/ [Davémon] on Saturday 17 September 2005 20:09 \__

> There are quite a few websites which scrape Usenet for content, so I
> thought it might be interesting to make a list of all of those that
> scrape a.i.s-e content.
>
> Here's some I found:
>
> <URL's>
>
> Obviously Google Groups as well.
>
> Roy, I didn't include yours because I'm not quite sure whether your
> getting all the posts, or just threads you're posting in, and whether
> that counts or not?
>
> Are there any more anyone is aware of?

I am converting my "Sent" box, which in 90% of the cases contains my own
posts only < http://www.schestowitz.com/UseNet/2005/September_2005_1/ > as
my latest archive can show. Sometimes, if context is missing or an answer
is incomplete, I add a few selected posts sent in reply to mine (about 10%
of the total volume).

For example, if somebody asks about USB mounting in Mandrake and I post the
solution, that's one message. If somebody later comes and adds valuable
extra links or makes an important correction to my advice, I may add it to
"Sent".

In such a situation, I believe everybody wins: the poster gets his/her
problem solved when/if I know a solution, surfers find a solution on my
site by searching the Web, I manage to re-use my advice by publishing it,
simultaneously archiving my own messages. Several times in the past I have
used my site's search facility to jump back to an advice I can recall
giving a long, long time ago. This prevents the need to repeat or recite. I
often use it to solve my own problems. I tend to forget how to use tools or
troubleshoot. I could never index and search data on my desktop/mail client
without Google's algorithms. I cannot use Google Desktop either as I'm on
Linux. Google's Code manager told me that it may be available for Linux
some time in the future.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
 12:15pm  up 24 days  0:29,  3 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.64, 0.66