Re: Chinese Googles

__/ [JC Denton] on Sunday 18 September 2005 09:16 \__

> Gymdandy@xxxxxxxxx ??:
>> Probably way to many to count but here is what I mean.
>>
>> Like AltaVista uses Yahoo
>> And Yahoo USED to use Google
>>
>> I know Google, Yahoo and MSN have their own search engines and
>> algorithms and spiders
>>
>> What other "major" ones are there?
>>

> www.baidu.com
> www.sogou.com

I once heard somebody referring to Baidu as "Chinese Google", which of
course was rather sarcastic. Today, for the first time, I had a look at the
sites. sogou.com in particular _annoyingly_ resembles Google in terms of
its interface. Let's see what Google do with Dr. Kai-Fu Lee on top, having
(legally now) 'stolen' him from Microsoft.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
 12:10pm  up 24 days  0:24,  3 users,  load average: 1.46, 0.95, 0.73