Re: Does USB connector also recharge the PDA?

  • Subject: Re: Does USB connector also recharge the PDA?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:55:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [-=rjh=-] on Sunday 18 September 2005 12:06 \__

> DevilsPGD wrote:
>> In message <432d2ec3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -=rjh=- <usually@xxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>>I think the TE2 doesn't use the universal connector; AFAIK devices that
>>>use the universal connector don't charge over the USB cable/cradle
>>>supplied by Palm, but 3rd party cables are available that will.
>>>
>>>I've never been able to understand why Palm introduced this limitation -
>>>iPods are the same - the USB cable doesn't charge the device either.
>>

>> TE2 does use the universal connector -- Although it has separate "data"
>> and "power" it does seem to trickle charge.  However, it does not
>> indicate it's charging, but the battery indicator slowly rises if the
>> Palm is left off.
>
> My mistake, I have a T3 and it definitely doesn't charge over the cable
> - hopefully Palm changed their policy for later Palms.

I think you are right. I was told that the Palm (context was Tungsten E if I
recall correctly) should be charged when connected via USB, but this does
not appear to be the case with my Tungsten T. It uses a Universal
connector, which may or may not make the difference.

The issue was discussed in the Palm-related newsgroups several times in the
past year. Try searching UseNet for more details and answers.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
  1:50pm  up 24 days  2:04,  3 users,  load average: 0.55, 0.49, 0.55