Re: IE Puts Win32 in Jeopardy

__/ [AZ Nomad] on Saturday 17 September 2005 18:51 \__

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:00:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>Smile. It's our turn to have that evil grin, having noticed that an entire
>>operating system is in jeopardy. To all the recent IEtrolls, here is the
>>situation:
>
>>http://tinyurl.com/czurv
>
>>     "The flaw is not wormable but allows for the remote execution (of
>>     code) with some level of end-user intervention," said Mike
>>     Puterbaugh, eEye's senior director of product marketing.
>
>>Time to revise that user privileges machanism, don't you think? There was
>>an announcement some months ago about a *nix-like access control. Maybe
>>Microsoft should worry about SHA1 once they have managed to keep away
>>scripting that penetrates underneath an authentication step.
>
> The concept of having a system protected from it's users is nearing it's
> 50th
> birthday.  Someday windows users will experience some of that "new
> technology."

50th birthday? I think not. the early computers < computer50.org > were too
simple to mind security.

> In the meantime, we can only laugh at them.  Microsoft is locked into a
> style of computing that is only suitable for something as complex as a
> commadore 64.

It refuses the evolve. That's where the issue lies.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
  2:55pm  up 24 days  3:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.26, 0.31