Re: Security 50 Years Ago

__/ [AZ Nomad] on Sunday 18 September 2005 18:46 \__

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:59:53 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>__/ [AZ Nomad] on Saturday 17 September 2005 18:51 \__

>>> The concept of having a system protected from it's users is nearing it's
>>> 50th
>>> birthday.  Someday windows users will experience some of that "new
>>> technology."
>

>>50th birthday? I think not. the early computers < computer50.org > were
>>too simple to mind security.
>
> No, but the 60's computers had such functionality, hence the phrase
> "NEARING it's 50th birthday"

Fair point then.

I think that a quick and unsupervised construction of an O/S -- one which
resulted in tens of millions of LOC's is what got Microsoft into this hole
they are in with Windows. No other vendor will have to send patches by the
dozens.

That O/S is barely understood and with the unrest at Redmond and the
employees that leave, familiarity of the code is only fading. Code is
community and an OSS person will continue to maintain his/her own code no
matter where he/she works.

So, I'm optimistic!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
  8:00am  up 24 days 20:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.23, 0.34