Re: First HP, Now Dell in Europe... The Ball Rolls a Little Faster...

  • Subject: Re: First HP, Now Dell in Europe... The Ball Rolls a Little Faster...
  • From: Snit <SNIT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:25:13 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
dgiv3b$c1$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 9/17/05 10:47 PM:

> __/ [Skeets] on Sunday 18 September 2005 03:53 \__
>
>> http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2564
>
> I came to COLA only to post that myself, but I see that you beat me to it!
> *msile*
>
> Several days ago, as HP made the move with Ubuntu, I said that Dell were
> soon to follow. I actually said that months ago when Michael Dell, I remind
> you, paid 100 million US dollars to RedHat out of him /own/ pocket. May
> this be the beginning of a wonderful friendship?
>
> I am now posting from a shiny new Mandrake machine at home -- a machine I
> only got to configuring this morning. Scanner works, digital camera works,
> network was a piece of cake to set up with a wizard. How can anybody /not/
> choose Mandriva over XP? The installation has been by far more intuitive
> than that of Windows (assuming little user experience) and the installation
> CD's contained all the software and drivers for the peripherals. All done
> while doing some laundry. You can't beat that!

This is undoubtedly wonderful news for the Linux crowd.  Congrats on a true
success.

It would be, perhaps, even better to have a company have a dual focus on
specific hardware and a specific distro that is heavily tested and optimized
on that hardware - that would be very, very cool.  If the company did well
enough they might even be able to get some of the benefits of Apple
(controlling the whole widget - though not as much control) while having
some of the benefits of MS (running on other hardware - though not sold that
way so not as popular as MS) and still maintain most of the benefits of
Linux.

I hope Linux lives up to its promise for the desktop.  Looks like it may be
heading that way.

--
God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download