Re: What do you use for video editing.

__/ [Jafar As-Sadiq Calley] on Monday 19 September 2005 13:36 \__

> Hi.
> I have Starship Troopers 2 on DVD and my kids want to watch it, but there
> is one scene with a naked breast being caressed. The film is ok for the
> kids otherwise.
> If I rip it to divx, is there any software (cinelerra is masked and
> broken) I can use to edit that breast out so they can watch it? Of course
> I could sit there with the kids and wait for the scene to come up and
> cover their eyes, but I don't trust my own timing. ;) Many thanks.

Hi Jafar,

I am not sure to what extent this is a *nix/Gentoo question, but here's my
general opinion...

If you seek software that will detect nudity and do so reliably, i.e.
without false positives, then expect it to run for days just filtering the
frames. Understanding of a scene whose nature is quite variant would be a
hard task.

Moreover, there is a lot of programming and probably a lot of dependencies
involved. The best you can ever do is watch the film beforehand and remove
frames which you find to be unsuitable for your children. There is no
chance in hell that analysis like that can be done in real time.

For such the task of editing any Open Source video editing suite would do.
You can just replace unwanted frames with some uniform black frame, for
instance. It would be very time consuming (possible lots of pasting
involved) and then require re-burning of the DVD.

My advice to you would be that you ought to fast-forward the film
beforehand, learning when nudity appears (write it down if necessary).
Thereafter, you can invite the children for some chocolate at the kitchen
at just the right time. *smile*

So there. Not a very *nix-like or technical suggestion, but I hope it's
valuable at some level or another.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  2:55pm  up 25 days  3:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.36, 0.62