Re: Gimp causes 100% processor load

__/ [Frantisek  Fuka] on Monday 19 September 2005 19:31 \__

> Hello there,
>
> I run Gimp 2.2 package on Debian Sarge and I have the following
> problem:
>
> I select "Paint" or "Draw" or "Erase" or something similar and then I
> use the tool continuously (without releasing mouse button) e.g. for 10
> seconds. The display updates correctly but processor load is at 100%.
> The worst happens when I release the button. The processor load stays
> at 100% (of which roughly 50-60% is XFree86, 30% is Gimp) for at least
> another 10 seconds and during this time the whole computer is
> completely unresponsible (mouse pointer moves but does not register
> clicks - thay all get registered only after those 10 seconds).
>
> The exactly same thing happened with Gimp 2.1. I waited for Gimp 2.2
> (because I don't use freehand drawing/erasing very much) but it keeps
> happening even with 2.2.
>
> I have Fingerworks Mini and Wacom Tablet but the exact same problem
> appears when I disconnect both and use standard USB mouse.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

The problem is indeed strange. I have a similar problem with Firefox (SuSE
8.2), wherein I suspect that the cause might be plug-in collisions. In
fact, many plug-ins (extensions) are known to intervene with each other and
cause problems under certain circumstances. Much like you say, I have
Firefox surging to ~70% and the rest is devoured by X.

So, I suppose my point would be: are you installing some additional software
or plug-ins to the GIMP? Have you tried installing GIMP 1.2 to see if that
makes a difference? A live CD? The behaviour is really difficult to debug.
Regressing which discovers a state/s which still work/s helps in
identifying the source of the problem.

Are you forced to quit the GIMP after that obscene CPU load? Does the
problem fix itself? In my case, I get 'warning signs' before the CPU usage
climbs on and on. So, I have plenty of time to save my work and then quit
(restart). It is a pain due to tabbed browsing and I am sure it is too when
you have palettes, layers and multiple images open.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open the Gate$ to Hell
  4:55am  up 25 days 17:09,  3 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.02, 0.91