Re: Subdomains and SEO

__/ [Euro Stacey] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 13:59 \__

>> __/ [Big Bill] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 13:13 \__

>>> Slow it down a little maybe in that it can be seen as a new domain and
>>> treated accordingly. But not actually hurt.
>>
>> Your utmost concern should be building your site properly. Build it
>> gracefully and search engines will like you. This should not in any way
>> hurt from a search engine's point-of-view. I fail to see why/hoe it may.
>>
>> Remember that when a site is built to fool a search engine, it shows. As
>> Bill quoted earlier, it can hurt too and lead to banishment. Use
>> dubdomains
>> when it is suitable to do so. If your site sells flowers, gives Web mail
>> access and delivers photos, that's a read light. You should then use
>> subdomains or break apart into separate domains.
>
> Roy touched on some good points. I just recently created a subdomain. This
> was because I thought it would be better to separate my SIL's jewelry to a
> site in it's own. I am still in work with it so still have those 2 pages
> on my site until I get hers all set up better. My site in total handmade
> crafts etc. If I was to sell computer items then I would get a whole new
> domain and not use a sub.
>
> I created this sub, not for SEO reasons but to give the Jewelry a identity
> on it's own. Of course this can help with SEO as it can pull better SERP's
> toward beaded jewelry.

I would also like to add, while on the issue of content mish-mash, that
links should be handled with care. A list of links assembled in a single
page and pointing to different sites => link farm / link exchange (choose
your terminology depending on severity).

Also, sites created by careless/lazy spammers (also known as "scrapers") may
contain anything from vacation to Hawaii and wooden caskets, even on the
same page! Don't have a jewelry site under computersale.com as it will
confuse users (orientation) and arouse suspicion from crawlers.

If you need a subsite, you will know it. If it is utterly unnecessary, you
will know so too.

Follow your gut feeling, not a bunch of SEO's and an algorithm that over the
years continues to adapt and perceive sites the way that we, as humans, do.
Machine learning is developing and brute-force is more readily available.
If one think of 'getting away' with an organic subsite, it's time to think
again...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | It is no longer uncommon to be uncommon
  2:00pm  up 26 days  2:14,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00