Re: Worm produces false Google SERPs

  • Subject: Re: Worm produces false Google SERPs
  • From: davidof <david.george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:27:24 +0200
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
I would now safely blame that opaque Registry mechanism.

Isn't the problem the fact that normal users are able to write the windows hosts file? As you know Roy, on a Unix (aka real OS) your normal users run unpriviledged and can't go modifying bits of the OS or associated componentry. I'm not sure it is a registry problem per se many windows apps that require the user to be logged on as a priviledged users so they can be installed or even run - encouraging bad security practises. The problem with Windows is that many apps update OS files when they install (aka DLL Hell). Shared libraries are just soooo 1990s anyway.

http://www.abcseo.com/