Re: Outlook Replacement for two PC's

__/ [jss87] on Wednesday 21 September 2005 15:44 \__

>> __/ [jss87] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 18:33 \__
>>
>> Good morning/afetrnoon,
>>
>>> I bought a Zire 31so I could sync outlook on two PCs...
>>
>> Better solutions exist for synchronisation of Desktop data. You can
>> either centralise data on-line (Web server) or have the computer
>> communicate with one another directly. I hope that you also bought your
>> Zire for the surpose
>> of work on-the-go.
>>

>>> ... I have a lot of
>>> custom categories, so I started with Beyond Contacts. For a bit,
>>> everyting
>>> was good, but now I get 'unexpected errors' on one PC so it cannot be
>>> sync'd. On the other I'm seeing strange things. For example, sync one
>>> time, everything is OK. Accidently press HotSync again, and get a
>>> message that an appointment has changed on one system and not on the
>>> other, leading to a duplication.
>>

>> Yes, this is bound to happen if you make conflicting changes. The best
>> you can do is HotSync frequently enough and avoid editing data on both
>> computers. It can become rather tricky. Locking can be introduced or the
>> problems superseded if you opt for other synchronisation methods.
>>

> near as I can tell, there should have been no changes at all. I sync'd a
> few seconds after the first sync (surely frequently enough) and had not
> touched the calendar on either device.
>
>>> Does anyone have any tips to avoid these problems or suggestions for
>>> another 3rd party program or approach?
>>

>> There are method for keeping Outlook synchronised, but I am not a
>> Microsoft
>> Office buff.
>> I would argue that on-line services will provide a good solution in the
>> long
>> term as upgrades, change of platform and mobility (e.g. checking your
>> schedule in an Internet Café while on holiday) are no longer an issue.
>> Tell
>> me if you want some pointers.
>>

> I used to use Fusion 1, but it's stopping the service and going to mobile
> phone programs. I need / want almost all of Outlook, except mail, to be
> transferred and the Web services seem to miss some features. I'll keep
> looking. If you've had good luck/satisfaction with any in particular, I
> check them out.
>

>>> Also, HotSync itself is not too reliable. I've had crashes reported on
>>> the
>>> PC (XP SP2), and often the Palm dissappears from the Device Manager
>>> part-way
>>> through the sync.
>>

>> Do you mean "Device Manager" or "Taskbar". The latter appears to be a
>> common
>> problem. This may suggest that the handheld begs for a reset, that
>> cabling is poor, that the operating system doesn't handle the USB port
>> properly or is susceptible to interruption.
>
> I mean Device manager. It went from saying "this device is functioning
> properly" to something like "this device is not present"
>>

>>> I'm trying to find my most reliable USB ports, ...
>>

>> This doesn't seem to be a reasonable thing to try.
>>

>>> ... trying
>>> to sync after a restart, and have downloaded a fresh version of the
>>> desktop software and am still having trouble.
>>

> A lot of people have reported that USB ports on mother board work better
> than ones on a hub. I seem to have better luck with the lower port on my
> Dell 700m than with the upper one.
>

>> Yes, the problem is at the very core. I imagine that better reliability
>> will
>> be reached in the future. Consider changing the synchronisation habits.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
> Yes, thanks.
>
>> Roy

Hi again,

I was about to leave it at that or simply point to some organisational tools
I am aware of already. However, having been notified about a brand new
service, I thought I'd mention it:

http://zimbra.com/

Go to the demo and 'drive' it for a couple of minutes.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
  6:20pm  up 28 days  6:34,  2 users,  load average: 1.24, 1.01, 0.89