Re: Disappointment with Linux

__/ [ Black Dragon ] on Saturday 01 April 2006 20:22 \__

> Black Dragon wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>> __/ [ Black Dragon ] on Friday 31 March 2006 01:18 \__

>>> SuSE would probably be perfect. As long as you needn't *chokes* pay for
>>> it as a corporate client.
>
>> Cool. Now that my son has been hearing good things about Linux and gaming,
>> that is, that some of the games he plays Linux versions out-perform the
>> Windows versions, my own interest in Linux is slowly being revived. :-)
>
> Well, Knoppix booted on the new machine but it had no sound, no network,
> and no hard disks. That makes it quite useless, especially with the lack of
> network connectivity. I wanted to save the output from dmesg but had no
> place to write it. :-(
>
> I did find after doing some research that I'd have to compile drivers into
> a Linux kernel to get sound, networking, and hdds working, and even then it
> wouldn't support the SLI display. That's way too much work to do to not be
> able to utilize the hardware to its full potential, so it looks like
> gaming on Linux waits.
>
> Subject: Disappointment with Linux
>
> Indeed. :-/

Knoppix?!?! Why? I hear of it most frequently in the context of live CD's and
data recovery (for Windows). I never tried Knoppix, but I'd advise you to
try Ubuntu, or even SuSE. They never let me down.

The following was published today:

http://www.linuxforums.org/reviews/overview_of_the_ten_major_linux_distributions.html

Also see a thread (or threads) on games in C.O.L.A. I recently mentioned
http://tremulous.net/ , which was mentioned again today, so I installed it
successfully. It just needs OpenGL to be supported, which was fine with my
SuSE and Ubuntu install apart from when I go dual-head display.

Best wishes and thanks for the advice on my old Presario.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
 10:05pm  up 24 days 11:48,  10 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.10, 0.21