Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(

  • Subject: Re: Tooltip texts no longer appear :'-(
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:55:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Martin Lipocky ] on Sunday 02 April 2006 20:47 \__

> Leslie Danks wrote:
>
>> Martin Lipocky wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I don't know what
>>> happened last week, but now whenever I hover the mouse across any icon in
>>> the system tray, the light-yellow tooltip texts do not want to appear.
>>>
>>> When I log on as root or as a testuser (my experimental account), the
>>> tooltip texts of system tray icons appear. But in my personal account
>>> they do not.
>>>
>>> It took me a plenty of times to compare .kde's rc config files between
>>> the accounts to find the wanted parameter, however, without any success
>>> so far, unfortunately :-( I also couldn't find it in any KDE guides or
>>> documentations.
>>
>> Have you tried:
>> Control Centre => Desktop => Panels => Appearance => Show Tooltips
>>
>> [...]
>>

> Success :-D
> Just now I tried it again. Continuous checking and unchecking really didn't
> have any effect. Also restarting kicker panel on dcop server didn't have
> any effect. So, I tried this: Unchecked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
> restarted xdm service, logged in, checked 'Show Tooltips', logged out,
> restarted xdm service, logged in, and now the tooltips appear.
>
> Although I cracked the nut, why the checkbutton option previously didn't
> work at the same session, it remains over my head.

Similar oddity I am reminded of: when enabling translucency and shadowing
effects (among others), one has to restart KDE although it is not explicitly
stated, at least not in KDE 3.4. More oddly, if you log in with special
effects (X composite-dependent 'stuff') and then disable it, you cannot
revert to using it again. You must restart KDE.

This has caused a lot of confusion and cost me time some months ago, so I
suppose the conclusion of it all is that KDE restarts solve many
inconsistencies and unpredictable behaviours, not necessarily as one
would/should expect.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
  8:50pm  up 25 days 10:33,  10 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.68, 0.77