Re: Unencrypted IP on Header

  • Subject: Re: Unencrypted IP on Header
  • From: Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:37:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: news.software.readers
On 2006-04-03, Homer.Simpson <Homer.Simpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> LePhantom said

>>> That's what I thought as well. Just like the X-Complaints-To
>>> header, I am inclined to assume it's appended to your headers by
>>> the node which routes your message/s. You could, however, try to
>>> send your message through a proxy, provided your ISP permit
>>> access to the newsserver from peripheral networks (unlikely).
>>> Your best chance to gain anonymity is to use a news gateway
>>> which offers this facility and flushes its logs.
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

>> Thanks for the information.  Do you have any information on news
>> gateways?  Where can I learn how to get started?
>>

> http://www.cotse.net/home.html

Bear in mind that articles posted through 'anonymous re-mailers' are mostly
the sort of garbage that no-one wants to read, so experienced news-group
users tend to ignore them.

If you just want to not have the IP number of your internet connection
visible in the headers of your posts, use one of the news-servers that
doesn't show it - look at the headers of other people's articles; the Path
header shows (at the extreme right-hand end) the server used to post the
article - and if it isn't obvious from the headers, the name of the actual
service can be found by a little web-searching, or by asking the people
who wrote the article.  I use "Individual.net" which shows up in the Path
header as "uni-berlin".  You can read about their service at
<http://www.individual.net/>.

--
--  Whiskers