Re: Another XGL Video: Holy Moses!

  • Subject: Re: Another XGL Video: Holy Moses!
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 14:58:34 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Handover Phist
<jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 01 Apr 2006 00:38:34 GMT
<slrne2rish.4c6.jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz blithely blithered
>> http://www.youtube.com/v/-CgqWlX_GsI (Streaming Flash)
>>
>> This videos makes OS X and Vista look like they have
>> some catching up to do.
>
> Oh man that is sweeeeeeet!

I'm not sure it'll catch on, but at least it doesn't get
in the way.  The rotating cube is a bit disconcerting but
it does have the advantage of not wasting space at the
bottom (I have a multiwindow workspace widget there now).
Wobbly windows is just -- weird.  I like the idea of
edgesnapping, mostly to keep my windows in order, but it
doesn't need to be incorporated with the other stuff.

The idea of zooming into the cube is even odder, though
not that much different in principle from control-alt-plus and
control-alt-minus, except that it's continuous.

An interesting capability is that of saveable positions.
I'm not sure how useful multiple videos at the same
time are, though it's a testament to the graphics power
available.

Quake3 Arena is *ancient*.  The idea of putting GL objects
such as gears and fish in the workplace is a little strange
but could be useful, to call attention to something (if done
tastefully).

All in all, eye candy, but at least it's useful.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because everyone wants a really slick-looking 8-sided wheel.