Re: Microsoft Is Playing A Dangerous Game

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Is Playing A Dangerous Game
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:49:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John A. Bailo ] on Tuesday 25 April 2006 16:43 \__

> Thomas Jespersen wrote:
>> "In his article, Ken Starks argues Linux could lose because of the
>> anti-Linux tactics of Microsoft, including Port25 and DRM-technology.
>> While Ken and I are both lobbying for Linux, and I think the same about
>> DRM, I don't agree that Linux will lose. I feel obliged to inform US
>> citizens about a bigger danger: The US as a country will lose because of
>> Microsoft tactics, and not Linux. Most important, they will lose because
>> of DRM."
>>
>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/59202/index.html
>>
>> I wonder what americans thinks of his theories ?
>>

> There is nobody, nowhere, preventing anyone from implementing DRM on
> Linux.

Sun Microsystems are implementing Open Source DRM, unless they are still at
the stage of writing specifications and having them approved**. Personally,
I couldn't care less about DRM, but others depend on accessibility through
DRM 'blockades'.

**They lost their head today (pun intended):

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=72749&cat_id=547

> DRM has *nothing* to do with the operating system -- can't the idiots
> who write these things understand that?
>
> RSA security models, which are implemented across many file types, *are*
> DRM.
>
> There are a million ways that anyone who wants to can put a DRM scheme
> into place on Linux.
>
> In fact, Real's Rhapsody music service already offers access to DRM'd
> media, for a monthly fee, on Linux via Firefox (http://www.rhapsody.com).

I'll lend you a tip. You can get all that stuff for free, over HTTP.

> Anybody who makes a big deal about Linux "not having DRM" is like a
> person arguing that a doorknob "doesn't have DRM".   It simply is not a
> feature of that product.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  4:40pm  up 3 days  1:51,  8 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.76, 0.80