Re: [News] Another Study Shows Linux TCO to be Lower than Windows TCO

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:49:15 +0100
<4107238.ceXMjI5Avq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For similar environments, Linux acquisition costs can be almost $60,000
> | less per server than Windows in software costs alone. Windows also
> | incurs higher hardware costs. Linux tends to be more productive, as
> | Linux administrators tend to manage more servers than Windows
> | administrators, and Linux systems tend to handle greater workloads
> | than Windows systems.
> `----
>
>                         http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/50095.html

I sure hope they catalog their assumptions carefully here; I could
see it anywhere between $6 and $60,000, depending on enterprise size.

There are some nice stats, though:

- over 99.99% availability
- 17% of sites report no downtime at all in the period (year?  quarter?)
- < 30 min downtime in over 60% of the cases where there is downtime
- 88% of enterprises report spending less effort for Linux
- 97% of enterprises report it's at worst about the same
- 79% spent nothing on Linux consulting
- 63% spent nothing on Linux training
- 75% of Linux admins spend < 10 min/week managing security with simple
  management tools; > 85% if there's sophisticated tools available
- up to $60,000 less per server in similar environments (but what
  constitutes an "environment" is not clear; is this mean, median, mode,
  or illustrative?)
- base resource costs are about the same for Linux and Windows, before
  taking into account the ability of Linux to support larger numbers
  of users and the additional productivity of Linux admins

But remember, Windows TCO is cheaper because Microsoft says so.  :-P :-)

(Erm, which bridge in Washington state is for sale again?)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.