Re: spyware, off topic?

  • Subject: Re: spyware, off topic?
  • From: wd <123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:32:04 -1000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:51:55 +0000, Thrasher Remailer wrote:

>   A locked door keeps an honest man honest, like my grand dad used to
> say.  Be careful who you trust.  Protect your computer against
> spyware.  Tell people you know about spyware, and tell them they
> should protect their computers.  There are lots of free programs to
> help you do this.
>

>   I run Windows XP on a new PC.  So far I have added Hijackthis,
> Vundofix, Spybot, Adaware, Windowsdefender, Crapcleaner, Spyad,
> Siteadvisor, Hosts, and Hoster, all for free.  The only program that I
> had to buy was Norton antivirus.

I would add a couple of other programs to that list:

Firefox - a free browser without as many security holes as Internet
Explorer, and no dangerous ActiveX:
http://www.getfirefox.com

AVG free anti-virus -- no need to pay for Norton:
http://free.grisoft.com

Software Firewall -- if your anti-virus program doesn't include one
already get the free version of the ZoneAlarm firewall.  WindowsXP
firewall is not enough:
http://www.zonelabs.com

Ewido - Trojan scanner with 15-day free trial.  Scan with this and you
will likely find trojans and worms that the other programs missed.  The is
the best scanner that I've tried:
http://www.ewido.com

Like Roy mentioned, consider upgrading to an operating system
like Linux. It might take a little while to learn how to do some things
differently, but you will save a lot of time in the long run because you
don't have to scan for viruses or run any of those 15 programs just for
basic security.  A good way to be even more secure is to use Linux live
CDs for your banking and transactions:
http://www.ubuntu.com