Re: Linux/Windows Security (was: spyware, off topic?)

> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 18:42 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ John Bokma ] on Saturday 22 April 2006 05:57 \__
>>
>> [..]

>>> With respect, in order for this to happen you would need to get a
>>> non-trustable script, change its permissions to executable and then
>>> run it.
>>
>> Weird, I can just do vi .bashrc
>
> For this, you would need to open a command line (if it is available
> from the menus despite the rarity of its requirement nowadays) and
> start entering commands to edit a hidden file. Then, you need to know
> how to save files in vi, which most people will find difficult. Why
> not become self-destructive and just erase personal files such as
> Documents? The effect of changing .bashrc is not very detrimental.

Well, I said: editing .bashrc. I would do it via a shell using vi. YMMV
though.

Oh, and editing .bashrc is quite cute, you can have more fun with it
compared to erase personal files ;-)

>> You think that people who are able to save an attachement, open a zip
>> with a password supplied in the email, and then execute the file are
>> going to be stopped on Linux?
>>
>> Moreover, you think that if enough people want to be able to run a
>> program directly from an attachement it will not happen?
>
> I was thinking along the lines of HTML E-mail with malicious scripts.

Same question: quite a lot of people prefer HTML email nowadays. IIRC I
had to turn it off in Thunderbird. Like I said: if enough people want
HTML email with malicious scripts it will be there. Isn't Open Source
wonderful?

>> You then misread my comments, I am not Linux bashing, but I know that
>> Linux is not going to happen because some fan boys are ignorant about
>> Windows and the "average" user.
>
> Have you seen Ubuntu yet? [kind tone of voice /] I know you are
> teaching Debian at some capacity, so why not explore the Live CD?
> Something tells me you have done so already.

Yup ;-) And the teaching stopped, sadly. Can't recall if it too suffers
from the Windows GUI misbehavior (I don't like it when Windows pop to
the front when they have the focus for example).

>> I doubt if Linux will ever gain over 50% of the desktops installed. I
>> think the most important question is: *why* should it get 50% (or
>> more).
>
> When Linux snatches a majority of all desktop machines (it grows in
> double digit numbers per quarter in the servers market)

Yup, two different markets. I doubt it will ever snatch the majority. I
think Apple is going to beat Linux. Personally I hope Apple is going to
sell their OS without the hardware. Probably isn't going to happen for
several reasons. Or let others make Apple clones. Who knows.

> it will look
> and behave differently from what it presently does... which is not bad
> by the way...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/v/-CgqWlX_GsI (Streaming Flash)

Yeah, one of my major criticisms on "the" Linux: too much focus on
eyecandy. I have no idea who's waiting for wobbling windows, and
rotating through virtual desktops instead of fast switching [1], and all
the animation stuff. It looks more like a graphical tech demo then
something I am going to use (YMMV).

It's not that much different from now (some things are available on
Windows as small programs like task switcher with thumbnails).

But does it work better? If you have time, have a peek at RISC OS. There
are Archimedes emulators available, and the ROMs are not that hard to
get. And then remind yourself that the OS you're looking at has parts
that are almost 20 (!) years old.

>> Anyway, personally I think Apple is doing a better job, and wouldn't
>> amaze me if they pull off what Linux zealots for some reason want to
>> happen for 10+ years by now.
>
> We shall live and see. Just remember the factors of affordability and
> openness, which more and more people come to appreciate as a
> necessity.

If one can buy a PC, one can buy an Apple.

And the most important point to users IMO is: who has the same OS as me.

Openness as in open standards and open source, I doubt many people care
about it that much. All that noise you hear is made by just a few people
;-) Like I said: it's cool if your TV set comes with a circuit diagram
if you're able to fix it yourself. Otherwise it's just another piece of
paper you have to throw away.

For most users the most important thing is that it works, keeps working,
and does what they want. They are ok with an alternative, as long as it
is an "alternative", not a geeks wet dream.

[1] I rarely use virtual desktops, but I like how Indigo Magic has them:
<http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dynaweb_docs/0620/SGI_Developer/books/I
ndigoMagic_IG/sgi_html/figures/desktop.online.gif>

Left bottom: a rectangular window with all available desks, and showing
the position of the windows. You can even drag and drop windows from one
desk to another. No silly rotating, just a click, and presto, the other
desk is there.

--
John           Skilled Perl programmer for hire: http://castleamber.com/

Fox noGO:http://johnbokma.com/firefox/removing-go-button-search-bar.html