Re: Low Google rank after IP correction

  • Subject: Re: Low Google rank after IP correction
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:55:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Big Bill ] on Friday 21 April 2006 01:29 \__

> On 20 Apr 2006 14:58:08 -0700, note2tim@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>I built a site that is hosted by godaddy, and I registered it with
>>Google at the time of creation. A few months later, Goddaddy discovered
>>that the IP address where they originally had the site hosted was
>>incorrect??? So they changed it to the new IP address. It was a couple
>>of days of hassle, but I thought that was the end of it.
>>
>>Problem is that ever since that time, the site has had an extremely low
>>ranking on Google, even when I use the company name as the search term.
>>(before the IP switch, the site was #1 rank when using the company
>>name)

Google should probe the domain name rather than bouncing straight onto IP
addresses. IP 'hopping', however, is perceived negatively although it
shouldn't. Some people host their own sites, but have dynamic IP's, which
lead to DNS issues. I hope you can see why change of IP is iffy. It's not
justifiable, but SE do this in self-defence (from poor, dodgy content).

>>About 6 weeks ago, I resubmitted the URL to Google, hoping it would
>>re-inforce the correct IP and move it up in the rankings. (btw, the
>>site is listed in the Google directory, but just comes up very low in
>>page rank---does fine on Yahoo, AltaVista etc.) This resubmitting has
>>had no measureable effect on the ranking.

Submittal has no effect. Forget it.

>>So what can be done? I thought about creating a new website at a new
>>domain with identical content--submit that as a new site, then just
>>have it point to the original site at the domain registrar. Would this
>>help or hurt? Is there another workaround? My client is understandably
>>upset about this as he runs a global company.
>
> Do GoDaddy not offer any solution?

Did they contact you before changing IP and possibly relocating your site in
the process from one server to another? They could reverse what they did if
it's not too late.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
  9:50am  up 43 days 23:33,  7 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.43, 0.52