Re: How will SE feel about using the same IP address?

  • Subject: Re: How will SE feel about using the same IP address?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:19:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Andrew Heenan ] on Wednesday 12 April 2006 23:26 \__

> <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
>> We have a Virtual Private Server that we rent per year.
>> We have unlimited domains that we can create.
>> (restricted by width) I have the option to buy an IP
>> address for each site or just use the same IP address
>> for all the sites. And all the sites are different type of
>> sites. Do you think this will affect search engine
>> rankings if I just use the same IP address
>> for ALL the sites?
>
> No. IP address matters - but not to SEs; for them, it stops at the URL.

I agree. There were rumours a while back. See, for example:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/10/23/c-block-penalty/

This is somewhat adverse to common sense however. Ultimately, such rumours
were quietly falsified.

Bear in mind that Google patented a method for looking at whois records to
know which sites belong to who. Anonymous registrations, however (formerly
.us and also GoDaddy), prevent this from becoming a reliable tool and
discriminant.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  3:15am  up 43 days 16:58,  6 users,  load average: 1.63, 1.41, 1.20