Re: robots.txt

  • Subject: Re: robots.txt
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:15:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Eric Johnston ] on Thursday 13 April 2006 11:07 \__

> "Per-Erik Skramstad" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Big Bill wrote:

>>> Show us your robots.txt and we'll have a look at it.
>>
>> http://www.rsil.no/robots.txt
>>

>> --
>>
>> Per-Erik Skramstad
>> http://www.korrekturavdelingen.no
>
> Just some guesses / ideas ...
>
> Try removing the spurious space character at the end of the line Disallow:
> /WORDogPDF/
>  but retain a carriage return or line feed character to properly terminate
> the line.
>
> There may be come confusion about your url name
> ht tp://www.rsil.n o/WORDogPDF  gets changed to ht tp://rsil.n o/WORDogPDF/
> ht tp://www.rsil.n o/WORDogPDF/  stays as ht tp://www.rsil.n o/WORDogPDF/
> Why ?
> You use relative addressing for your page to page links and once someone or
> something has gone to  ht tp://rsil.n o/ there is entire duplicate of your
> site for them to browse.  This will confuse search engines and possibly
> generate duplicate site penalty.  This has something to do with server
> configuration and DNS setup.  If you read any of your pages there is no
> indication what is the url of the site.  I think you can use something like
> <base href="ht tp://ww w.demo.com/" /> in the head to clarify.

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but the one-stop place for quick
reference is probably:

        http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

It explains everything that is supported and does so fairly well.
Fortunately, no search engines have yet diverged from the standard by
supporting wildcards.

> If a search engine read the content before you added the robots.txt it may
> take many months or several years for it to be removed from the search
> engine records.  Try asking the search engines to delete.  Google have a
> special file deletion process that works well, but you need to check again
> about 6 months later in case it re-appears.  If other sites have already
> put links to the unwanted file you can expect calls for the file for ever
> more....
>
> Best regards, Eric.

Have a look here:

        http://services.google.com:8882/urlconsole/controller

This uses your robots.txt for instructions.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software?s days are numbered
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:10am  up 43 days 16:53,  6 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.04, 1.03