Re: IMAGE SEARCH OF A DIFFERENT KIND

__/ [ pudhiaideas@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 11 April 2006 20:20 \__

> HAI ,
>          IAM AN AVID QUIZZER.BUT I DONT LIKE PICTURE QUIZZES-IN WHICH
> THEY GIVE THE IMAGE OF ANYTHING AND ASK US TO IDENTIFY IT-BECAUSE (AS
> FAR AS I KNOW)THEY ARE UNGOOGLEABLE.
>          SO THE BOTTOMLINE IS,
> IS THERE ANY FEATURE IN GOOGLE OR ANY OTHER SEARCH ENGINE,WHERE YOU CAN
> UPLOAD ANY IMAGE AND SEARCH THE WEB FOR RELEVANT DETAILS(JUST THE
> REVERSE OF AN ORDINARY GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH)?
>
> IF ITS AN YES,PLEASE PROVIDE ME THE LINK.
> THANK YOU.

I can recall a similar question from the past, but I believe no such service
is available. There are several existing efforts to label images (rather
than rely on the alt attribute, or captions, or adjacent text). See, for
instance:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Vision/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=62

http://espgame.org/

Searching for similar images on the fly requires indexing of pixels, which is
both computationally expansive and requires high amounts of storage volumes.
The low demand for such service makes it unlikely to become a reality.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS - Please stick to proper case. Your message can easily be interpreted as
shouting although the content does not makes it seem so.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E