Re: multiple domain names

  • Subject: Re: multiple domain names
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:50:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ canadafred ] on Wednesday 05 April 2006 17:24 \__

> "Big Bill" <kruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:18:29 -0400, "canadafred"
>> <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>><stilts1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>Hello
>>>
>>>A web domain whose sole purpose is to redirect visitors to other domains
>>>is
>>>considered to have less value than a domain which contains unique web
>>>content. Although your purpose for the redirect seems like a logical thing
>>>to do for your visitors and for the search engine spiders, the technique
>>>has
>>>been excessively abused in the past as a form of manipulating the search
>>>engine results pages.
>>>
>>>In summary, the search engine should not rank the redirecting domain very
>>>highly.
>>>
>>>Google implies this : http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
>>
>> On the other hand, I'd flat out disagree with this. Where there's no
>> intention to deceive, you should be alright.
>>

> In a perfect search engine world this would be ideal. If the web site's
> function was not to deceive then it should be rewarded for it's intent.
> Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect search engine world.

In a perfect world, there would also be no more than one site for each
company/mission/project. The Web is too noisy as it currently stands, which
is why ICANN struggles and often comes under fire. I am not talking about
the usual critique, but rather about people who deplete the namespace by
buying hundreds of domains for ransom or vanity.

But one domain, relish on its existence and wait to reap the results. This
actually works. This can also be more manageable, scalable and affordable.
The days are over when owning a domain (or domains) was a source of pride.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
  1:45am  up 43 days 15:28,  6 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.40, 0.49