Re: Repeat after me: No more Linux desktop forks

  • Subject: Re: Repeat after me: No more Linux desktop forks
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:49:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ AZ Nomad ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 23:59 \__
>
>> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:52:41 GMT, Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3601556298.html
>>
>>>"If the Linux community continues to have significant desktop forks, ISVs
>>>(independent software vendors) will continue to be reluctant to write for
>>>Linux."
>>
>> That's only if they're totally ignorant of the fact that all linux
>> desktops share the same windowing system and are intercompatible.
>> IE: if you run gnome, you can run kde apps and visa versa.  Run twm or a
>> lightweight windowing manager and you can still run kde and gnome apps,
>> etc.
>
> Precisely.
>
> That's not what the competitors would have you believe though. The
> competition revolves around its ability to number distributions and make
> Linux seem impossible to master. Liars like Ballmer would suggest that Linux
> is fragmented. It's a fallacy and stereotype that we must remove from
> people's minds.

Without losing the key fact that a multi-culture is unlikely to be
significantly affected by security exploits in the same way that Windows
is now.

Multiple distributions, different hardware platforms, different kernels,
different window managers, email clients, word processors, and so on,
all contribute to security.

The days just prior to marriage are like a snappy introduction to a
tedious book.